Monday 20 May 2013

DIY: Easy T-Shirt skirt

As you know I lost a lot of weight over the last nearly two years.

I always loved buying T-Shirts when I was on holidays or the odd slogan shirt. Most of them are far too big now. So I ended up with a high number of T-Shirts I can not wear anymore. Of course I also didn't want to throw them away since they are memories of good times.
They were sitting in my wardrobe and waiting for something to be done with them.

Finally I came up with an idea. Inspired by several DIY projects like the upcycled T-Shirt scarf I decided it was finally time to give my old T-Shirts a new life.
Instead of sewing a scarf I decided to do a skirt out of them.

I started by cutting the print of the Shirts into squares. Start with the biggest print and take that as your measurement for all other T-Shirts. It's not an exact science. I basically cut the first piece and put it on top of the other T-Shirts to get about the same size.



Red is my fav colour so I ended up with six pieces in different red shades which were enough to make a skirt.


The first step is to sew three pieces together. I did the same with the other three pieces and finally joined the two stripes of T-Shirts. Next sew it together to have a tube. The good thing about T-Shirt fabric is that you don't have to worry about a hem. I just did a zig zag stitch all around the bottom hem. (Use zig zag for all your sewing to have a stretchy stitch.




Fold the top hem to have a canal to put the elastic band in (leave an opening of a few cm to insert the elastic band). Use a security pin to insert the elastic band and tie a knot. THAT's it! T-Shirt skirt full of memories done!
All together I needed about an hour. I will do another one with the other T-Shirt pieces too! They make a great holiday skirt. If you fancy you can wear them as a tube top or even make a tube dress out of them! Get creative! It's so easy!



1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    erstmal danke fürs Kompliment ;)
    Hmm, also so ein richtiges "Geheimnis" habe ich da nicht.
    Mache dreimal die Woche Sport und muss mich halt an der Arbeit sehr viel bewegen, vielleicht ist es das?!
    Naja und zwischendurch esse ich nicht so viel, Frühstück, zu Mittag Bot an der Arbeit und abends dann gekochtes, zwischendrin ein bissel Schoki, aber eher so einmal täglich ;)
    Ich glaube die Bewegung macht es und ein bisschen gutes Erbgut vom Papa ;)

    www.kamerakind.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete